Wise Water Words - Volume 52, Issue 1 (Spring 2015)
Lincoln Wins Water-Tasting CompetitionThe Lincoln Water System emerged as the 2014 winner of our annual water-tasting competition. This is the second win for Lincoln; in their last turn as Nebraska's Best-Tasting Water (in 2009), they placed third in the national competition.
Lincoln dethroned the City of Fremont, who has held the crown for the past four years. Although Lincoln was the overall winner, the City of Aurora was voted the best-tasting in the untreated water category. Samples were submitted by Aurora, Blair, Columbus, Fremont, Kearney, Lincoln, and Norfolk.
Six individuals served on our panel of judges:
- Chris Batt, assistant superintendent of the City of Ogallala Water Department
- Brenda Lennox, National AWWA Vice-President and Customer & Support Services Manager for the Tualatin Valley (Oregon) Water District
- Jack Daniel, administrator of the Nebraska Office of Drinking Water and Environmental Health
- David Lathrop, 2014 Nebraska Section AWWA Chair and environmental engineer at NDEQ
- Vince Kuppig, environmental engineering graduate student at the University of Nebraska – Lincoln
- Allison Speicher, environmental engineering graduate student at the University of Nebraska - Lincoln